Tuesday, November 02, 2010

I Heart November

Okay, so, as much as I hate Halloween, I look forward to it because November happens the very next day.

My birthday is in November. And Harper's birthday. And the birthdays of several of my most wonderful friends. It is a seriously great month for birthdays. And I am not embarrassed to admit how much I love and look forward to my birthday. Since Harper's birthday is close to mine, my parents and siblings are almost always in town to celebrate - isn't that nice of them?

I also love election day, especially when there are big races. Sure our system isn't perfect, but I LOVE that we all get to participate. It's truly remarkable. I took the kids to the polls for the last presidential election, but have voted by absentee ballot in the last two elections (we had a special one last May). Can I convince you of the awesomeness that is the absentee ballot? Discovering I could do that ranks right up there with the day I realized I could basically order books from the library and get email notification when they were ready for me. Especially for those of you with little kids or long work hours, seriously, absentee ballot is the way to go.

I'm a little nervous tonight because we have a very important school levy on the ballot, one that failed in May. It will mean some ugly things for our local schools if it doesn't pass. I know I have fairly narrow vision on this issue, I just can't understand why you wouldn't vote to support public schools... Sigh.

Where was I? Oh yes, November.

Do you know what else happens in November? Thanksgiving. And the day after Thanksgiving - the day that Christmas restriction is lifted and we bust out all the holiday music, movies, books and decorations. I really love that.

*****

You guys are kind of hard- hitting with the questions! Some of those will be fun to answer over the next couple of weeks. Keep them coming - if today's post is any indication, I'll definitely be struggling for material.

7 comments:

Pam said...

I love November too. Even Thanksgiving and I'm English! I'm looking forward to seeing all your birthday pictures.

bluedaisy said...

I am with you on November :) And we now have a couple of family birthdays this month too- which totally adds to the fun.
But what is this "Christmas restriction" you speak of? Apparently none of our local grocery stores, convenience stores or malls have heard of this. Christmas can hang out RIGHT NEXT to Halloween, right? Just kidding- but I am too am looking forward to the season!!

Giselle said...

I'm so tempted by the absentee ballot. But even though it is crazy taking the kids, and I'm sure many of my fellow residents wish I would leave them at home...I feel like it is important (to me) for them to see the voting process. To ingrain in them from a young age that we vote. Even if we don't like all the candidates, even if we disagree with each other and cancel each others' votes out...we vote. And now Andrew gets to vote through Pennsylvania's KidVote. He takes it very seriously (uh...it's Andrew...go figure). Yesterday he got to vote for a senator, the governor, and whether the school should serve healthy foods at lunch time. Very cute.

Anyhoo...after Michael's screaming yesterday...maybe I should just have Jeff take Andrew and Lily and absentee vote myself ;)

Swistle said...

YES, I love the lifting of the Christmas Restrictions! I love how right after Halloween the stores are full of Christmas!

Emily said...

Oh, please let us know about the school levy - that's an issue that gets me all fired up here as well. Holy cow, we had one up last year (it finally passed, thank goodness) and you should have READ the letters to the editor in the local paper. Harsh.

Brian keeps trying to convince me of the absentee ballot, but I'm stuck in the "but then my vote doesn't really COUNT" camp. I mean I know that it still does, but it bothers me that it gets counted last. I don't even like to go to the polls in the evening, because I feel like by then, the election is really over. I know that's not true in reality, I just can't get past it.

Hillary or Ryan said...

I know why we are friends. I agree with you on every single thing. And we share a number of important things in common. My birthday is also in Nov. and my son's is also in Nov. (two days before mine!). My parent's birthday's are also in November and well as my mother-in-law, my uncle, and a cousin. Holy cow! I vehemently support public education (because I'm a teacher). And I now vote on the absentee ballot (and I take the kids to city hall to witness the voting process on the absentee ballot a few days early--it's less hectic than election day). Ordering books at the library and having them ready for pick up--beautiful, beautiful system!

CARRIE said...

Our wedding anniversary is Nov 1. So apparently I've thought November was a good month for at least 14 years.

I don't mind taking the kids to vote...for the same reason as Giselle. They act like wild apes, but they act like wild apes anywhere I take them.....