Monday, March 21, 2011

Bummer

The first time we sat down to eat ice cream together as a family I cried.

It was the first time were able to go out for ice cream together. Because of Harper's peanut allergy most ice cream places are completely off limits. Then, a few years ago, a seasonal place opened not far from our house. It sold ices, frozen custard, and was nut-free! I will never forget the first time we sat at one of those tables with Harper and enjoyed our treats.

For several weeks we've had the opening day (this past weekend) marked on our calendar and have been gearing up for the first visit. Of course that was before we found out we could no longer go there. Yesterday we found out they've added all kinds of peanut containing products to their stores and it really isn't safe for us even to walk in any longer. Boo.

Now I'm not going to jump up and tell people to send angry letters or boycott the store (you'll notice I haven't even mentioned their name), but we are so, so disappointed.

There are very few places where we can enjoy a meal or snack out with Harper and it is really too bad when we have to cross another one of off our list. Being able to take your kids out for ice cream in the summer is such a simple pleasure and one we really enjoyed, at least for a couple of years.

I will admit that I shed a few tears yesterday when I found out about the menu changes. I know it is silly to cry over something as inconsequential as not being able to go back to an ice cream place, but I think my tears were more about the barriers Harper's allergy represents for her, for us as a family. There are so many normal things that we have to think twice about doing. And I worry often about the ways Harper might be limited as she grows. I know that having this allergy doesn't mean that she won't have a full and happy life, but it is difficult not to feel discouraged now and again.

10 comments:

Marie Green said...

Oh, that IS a bummer. I know a little girl in town that has a peanut allergy, but she's older now (4th grade, maybe?) and it seems like her allergy is... better? I mean, I saw her with her mom at a Relay for Life event, and she was eating something (kettle corn, maybe) and her mom remarked how her hands got a little splotchy from the peanut oil they used. But she was still able to eat the kettle corn. I didn't get a chance to ask more questions, but I'm wondering... will Harper ever outgrow her peanut allergy?

Jen said...

That would definitely be disappointing! Hopefully you can find another peanut-free place to go soon.

Giselle said...

It is always amazing to me how many areas of your life are affected by this allergy. You do an amazing job adapting and creating a fun, safe, and loving world for your baby girl. Perhaps it is time to create your very own ice cream shop at home? Not the same, I'm sure...

Nowheymama said...

I'm so sorry. Places we feel safe to eat are few and far between; I hate it when one changes its menu or closes.

Emily said...

I would have cried, too! That is so disappointing. And I know what you mean, there are those little things that we take for granted that are special as a family. It's hard that they are limited like that for you.

bluedaisy said...

I would have cried too. This is a true bummer and I echo Giselle's thoughts that you find so many ways of making things work for your daughter and your family. Hugs to you all!

Kate said...

Girl-- your fund raising is OFF THE HOOK! You must tell me your secret. Besides having a child and a cause that nobody can be against.

Anonymous said...

Oh Kelsey. I wish I didn't know exactly how you feel right now:(
Thank you for putting it in words.

Kelli

Pam said...

Oh what a shame for Harper. I hope you find another great place to get ice cream.

CARRIE said...

I can't imagine how challenging it would be to live with a peanut allergy. I know for myself, as a peanut butter addict, it would be a tremendous sacrifice.
How did Harper take it? Our kids are often far more adaptable than we are about much of what life throws our way.