So - I am super cranky tonight.
I am cranky for two reasons:
1) I am tired.
2) I have children.
Numbers one and two just don't mesh well...
I subbed today and a lot of the time when I work I am sort of energized and happy to see my own kids at the end of the day. Today - not so much.
Now I realize I have NOTHING to complain about. And while I know the familiar feeling of wanting to kick in the teeth a person who suggests someone having a bad day just needs a little perspective, I also know that it is true that I might just need a little perspective.
I'm asking you to indulge me while I actually make a list of things I have to be thankful for in the hopes that it will improve my mood:
1. I am thankful we met our March of Dimes fundraising goal so quickly that I am raising it. Several people who only know us through this blog have donated and that is incredibly awesome. Thank you.
2. I am thankful we don't struggle to meet the physical needs of our family. I don't know what it is like to watch my children go without food, or shelter, or clothing, or medicine, or love, or books, or even toys. I know what a privilege that is.
3. I am thankful I get to meet two different friends for coffee tomorrow. This is possible because of nearby friends and an understanding husband.
4. I am thankful that, for the time being I have the privilege of being a stay-at-home-mom, mostly. It is difficult and I'm not always thankful about it, but I know this time spent with my children has not been time wasted.
5. I am thankful we have a DVR. I am sure that sounds like a silly thing to be thankful for, but I really, really love not programming VCRs any longer.
6. I am thankful that my family is happy with simple meals.
7. I am thankful I can type this from the comfort of my own bed. Seriously, what do I possibly have to complain about when my life is so cushy I can sit in bed and use a laptop while watching shows from the DVR?
8. I am thankful anyone reads this - while a main function of the blog is the fact that I am able to look back and remember what was going on with us - it is a lot more fun with the feedback and support that a handful of readers provide.
9. I am thankful we are not experiencing anything even remotely tragic right now. I am thankful I have the ability to recognize that being tired and cranky is not tragic.
10. I am thankful for friends, near and far, who are there to listen and share their own stories.
11. And then there's this: