Friday, November 02, 2007

This Kind of Excitement? Not What I Need

It's going to be brief tonight folks, and not about Halloween (which, I know, Kids in costumes! I promise I'll get to later). Despite the fact that I remained relatively calm. . . I'm feeling as though I've been through the emotional wringer tonight.

Everyone is fine.

We had to use Harper's epi pen today.

I think a full play-by-play may have to wait for tomorrow.

We were at a friend's house, where we've been many times before, but I picked her up when it was time to leave and she was wheezing and had two hives on her face. We have never had to use the epi before, but it has always been my understanding that if there are two symptoms (two different body systems effected) that it means use the epi.

One ambulance ride, six and half hours in the ER, and a couple of prescriptions later, we're home and Harper is sleeping. She's not even traumatized and handled the entire thing like a real trooper.

I was fairly confident that, if the need ever arose, I wouldn't hesitate to jab my child with that needle. And I'm proud to say I didn't hesitate. And I'm really proud of Harper because she cried for about three minutes after I used the epi -- which I've heard really stings going in -- and then never shed another tear through the whole ordeal.

Tonight I'm thanking my lucky stars that we know what to do in an emergency.

7 comments:

Mommy Daisy said...

Oh Kelsey, what a day! I hope everyone is feeling better and more rested tomorrow. Glad to hear Harper is doing OK now.

Erin said...

oh my God. I'm calling you today.

Giselle said...

Good job, Mama. I cannot imagine the fear... What did you do with Harper for 6 1/2 hours in the ER? And did you figure out what triggered the allergic reaction?

Anonymous said...

I was getting awful icky neck-shivers as I was reading, and at the end I started CRYING. Um, because this is about ME, clearly. No--I mean that I really feel for you, and that I guess even though we haven't met in person, I care a lot about what happens to Harper, and this must have been so scary for you, and I'm glad you didn't hesitate, and I'm not glad you had to spend so much time in the ER, and I'm glad Harper is okay.

Shannon said...

SO glad she is okay!!!

Emily said...

Wow, way to go, Kels. I can't imagine how I would handle a situation like that, but it sounds like you did exactly perfectly what you needed to do. So glad everyone is ok, and that we have the wonders of modern medicine to be able to treat her on the spot!

Jill said...

sorry for the scare. hope its all better