Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Me and My Llama. . .

Can anyone finish that Sesame Street sketch name?

Click here to see if you're right, and possibly enjoy a fond memory.

***

Yesterday marked Harper's first official visit to the dentist. I was nervous that we were in for a full-fledged meltdown, as discussions about the dentist have led to such remarks as:

"I don't yike the dentist!"

"I am not going to open my mouf at the dentist!"

"I won't sit in the chair for the dentist!"

Much to my surprise, she did great!


I was holding my breath nearly the entire time, waiting for Harper to totally freak out, but she was an angel.


I have to give a ton of credit to the hygienist, who is obviously skilled at working with children. She showed Harper everything before she used it, let her ask questions and touch things, and proceeded slowly, so as not to cause alarm.


Harper even let her polish and floss her teeth, which completely shocked me. Not that I expect Harper to be ill-behaved, but she has a history of being very tentative in new situations, of being wary of new people, and of freaking out at the doctor's office (where she was known, for a time, as The Girl Who Screams).

Nana was there, having stayed with Harper and then arrived at the dentist with her to see the end of my cleaning and exam. Ann (Nana) and I stood in the doorway, practically holding our collective breath, as Harper went from one part of the exam to another without incident.


The most difficult part? Picking a toy from the treasure chest.

3 comments:

Laura said...

First of all, DANG, Girl!

Where in the world did you dig up that old Sesame Street clip? I have never seen anything like that before! That was too funny. And how about the little girl's no-teef-smile? A llama at the dentist. I do believe that my life is now complete. Thank you, Kelsey!

Now really, about Harper, what a good, brave girl. I too, am impressed at what a big girl she is to have sat still sans screaming. Nice job!

You didn't show her the llama video before she went, did you?

Mommy Daisy said...

Sorry, I didn't get the Seasame Street thing.

That is super that Harper did so well at the dentist. I've been trying to decide when to take Zachariah, but I think he's too young yet. There is a children's dentist in town though, so that would probably be the best option for his first time.

Giselle said...

I totally remember the girl going to the dentist with the llama! I love old Sesame Street clips...ahhhh, the memories!

Good girl, Harper! Just goes to show it is impossible to predict what a 3 year old will do in any given situation. ;)