Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Miss Independent

This morning I was trying to do some work on the computer while Harper was playing in her kitchen. I like her kitchen play very much because it is noisy and I can always tell where she is and, more or less, what she is doing. Then it got quiet.

"Harper, what are you doing?" I called.

Her response?

"No!"

If you are the mom of a toddler, that "no," translates into time to get off your duff and go see what is happening. Immediately.

I found Harper in the hallway with a hidden object in her hands, which she was kind of crouching over, turning her back so I couldn't see. The mystery object. . .



A banana! I laughed and told her it wasn't a problem for her to have a banana, but she needs to ask me first (Only two years old, remember?); there are very few circumstances under which I would say no to a banana. I also asked her to come and sit with me while she ate it, to avoid mushed banana in mystery locations throughout the house.


So I continued on the computer and Harper nibbled at her banana, when I started thinking, "I know she can peel a banana that I open for her, but how did she get it started?"


I walked into the kitchen and found this:


Apparently the banana started to peel itself as Harper was taking it from the bowl. So there you go!

3 comments:

Mommy Daisy said...

Oh, that is too cute. Me son loves getting things out of the kitchen. How nice of that banana to peel itself. It was definately a child-friendly one.

Erin said...

Are all kiddos banana-obsessed? I used to have them out in a bowl on the counter, like you. Now they are hidden away in the pantry in an attempt to get Cal to think about something other than "nana! nana! nana!"

I
miss
you.

Did I mention that yesterday?

Emily said...

That's classic, how funny! I love how she thought she'd be in trouble for eating a banana, as if it were a cookie or something!