Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Frequency

It has been brought to my attention (Erin) that there are a few people out there who would like for me to update this blog a bit more often than once a week. I will try to be better about at least putting up some short posts more frequently. Then people who are a tad obsessive, like me, will have something new to see if they visit every day, or several times a day. . .

Occasionally I forget to stop and be amazed by the new things Harper does and says every day. For a long time she loved bananas. Then she didn't want them at all and she would just play with the cut pieces, building slimy banana towers and slipping bites to the dog. Yuck.

Earlier this month I wondered if she'd be more interested in a banana if I just got it started for her and handed her the entire thing. Ta-da! Bananas were once again an acceptable food. Harper is proud of herself for just about everything she does, now she can add master banana peeler to the list.






Unfortunately I forgot to share this new banana procedure with everyone and when Nana was here the other day, she started to cut a banana for Harper. Harper immediately freaked out and, though I wasn't there, I'm sure she yelled something like, "No ca (cut) up!" Of course what she meant was, "Nana, due to my increased maturity, my parents no longer feel it necessary to divide this particular type of fruit into bite-sized pieces for me. But thank you for your willingness to do so. Now if you'll just place the entire banana before me, I'd be happy to demonstrate my peeling and biting skills."

My friend Christine once said something really wonderful and true about toddlers. I hope she doesn't mind my quoting her here. She said, "A two-year-old will walk through tornados, lightning, or fire without batting an eye, but put the juice in the wrong color cup and all heck breaks loose!" And it's true, although in Harper's case it's less about the color of her cup and more about her fruit being intact, but I think the same idea applies.

We've also had some humorous banana related moments, like when one broke as she was eating it the other day and she implored Matt to, "Feec (fix) it, Daddy!" Now Matt's a talented guy, but banana repair is not listed on his resume. Luckily Harper managed to cope with her broken fruit.

2 comments:

Erin said...

Thank you Kels for feeding my obsessive compulsive tendencies. TWO POSTS in TWO DAYS. Keep this up and you know what happens: you raise the bar, my friend. Oh yes, my expectations have already been inflated. I can't WAIT to see what you post tomorrow.

Also, I'm very intrigued over this mystery comment you mentioned. Can you email me about it? I gotta know.

Anonymous said...

YIPEE! There's a Harper update. I was starting to feel deprived out here. You keep people wondering - what would we do without Erin!?!?!? - Kristin