Monday, October 16, 2006

Time Flies

Hmm. . . I don't know if any of you look at the comments, but I just removed a really strange one from someone I've never heard of. I normally have no reason to edit, but it was pretty weird. Hopefully it wasn't there for too long. Did anyone else notice?

I can't believe it's been a week since I last posted. It has been busy around here. I was in Columbus twice in the last week. Once again I find myself feeling so grateful for all the help we get from Matt's parents. I am pretty sure I wouldn't be able to do the whole graduate school thing if they weren't around to lend a hand.

Last week Ann, otherwise know as Nana, accompanied us to a free trial gymnastics class at Tops Gymnastics Club, which isn't too far from our house. They have a special set of programs for young children in a gym they call Tumble Bunny Land. If we decide to attend class there on a weekly basis, Harper would enter as a Hopping Bunny. We are up in the air about continuing at this point. There was a little group stretch at the beginning. The kids did a stop, drop, and roll song, since it's fire safety month. Then the instructor demonstrated the stations the children were supposed to go through. It was pretty complicated and I was a little worried about the extent to which they really expected the directions to be followed. I knew I wouldn't be able to remember the whole thing. After the explanation, the instructor told us we could start at any station we wanted and I realized it probably wasn't as structured as it seemed at first.


There were only two things Harper was really interested in doing. One was a long trampoline built into the floor, which more skilled children probably tumble on. The direction was for the Hopping Bunnies to jump from one end to another, bringing their feet together and apart like jumping jacks. Right-o. Harper just kept running back and forth on it, exclaiming, "Ah jumpy! Ah jumpy!" Um, not quite. But she loved it, and surprisingly, agreed to get off the thing when another kid wanted a turn. The other piece of equipment she enjoyed was a large wedge the children were supposed to roll down. Instead Harper slid down it on her stomach. Ah, close enough. She was highly suspicious of any area filled with foam squares and also wary of tunnels. I wonder if she has some sort of tunnel-phobia which can be traced back to the fact that she had to be delivered by c-section? (Just kidding.)

My guess is that Harper might broaden her horizons and actually learn a thing or two if we keep going to the class. Plus, it will give us a reason to leave the house this winter, which I am sure I will be desperately needing to do. I would like to assure everyone that we would not be enrolling her in this gymnastics class in some bizarre quest for a gold medal in the 2020 Olympics. The fact that Harper does not realize jumping requires both of her feet leaving the floor at the same time leads me to believe that she doesn't have a lot of raw gymnastic talent! And I'm sure Matt would tell you that any quest for Olympic gold will be on a basketball court rather than a balance beam, at least if he has any say in the matter.

No comments: