Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Just Another Weekend


Saturday morning looked like this:
 

 
 
Saturday evening looked like this: 
 
  
As it turns out we are people who attend dance competitions.
 
Harper started taking ballet class in first grade. This was at the suggestion of Matt's mom but we were more than happy to let her do it. Harper loves music and dance, and, though she is not particularly flexible, seemed to have an aptitude for learning her dance moves. She enjoyed class and really enjoyed getting up on stage and performing in her first recitals.
 
After two years of regular class she was invited to audition for the competition team at her studio. At first she wasn't interested. Then she found out several of her friends were going to audition and she decided to give it a try. You could have knocked me over with a feather when she was actually invited to join.
 
I had all kinds of reservations about taking that step. It is a lot of time/energy/expense. The director of our studio reassured me that in reality it was nothing like that TV show... and, for the most part, it isn't.
 
I never imagined I would be a person applying lipstick or false eyelashes to my nine-year-old's face. The truth is that I still have mixed feelings about that part of things.
 
But I also never imagined I could offer my daughter a situation where she'd take nearly 11 hours of dance class in one weekend from well-known choreographers. I never imagined how proud I'd feel when she didn't give up, even when it was unbelievably difficult for a dancer of her (low) level of experience. I never imagined how my heart would swell watching her get up on a competition stage, in front of bright lights, judges, an audience, and perform like she'd been waiting her whole life to do it. It looked terrifying to me. I asked one of the other mothers if children (because they ARE children) ever get up on those stages and just freeze.
 
"If she can do this," I thought to myself, "what on earth would she ever be afraid to do?"
 
We've been doing this for less than a year, but I can already see how Harper is growing from the experience. She's learning about time management, commitment, sacrifice. She's experiencing what it is like to work with a group, over a long period of time, for a common purpose.
 
 
 
Sure the costumes can be crazy and the false eyelashes are downright ridiculous, but if I had to choose one word to sum up what this experience has been like for Harper so far it would be: empowering.
 

 

 
And I don't regret it one bit.

2 comments:

MamaK said...

That's pretty awesome. I love the "inside look" too. Any chance she can just not do the eyelashes? maybe the group decides to all skip that part? but still... awesome.

bluedaisy said...

I am thinking any of the make up stuff is because of the bright lights/stage component--it just looks better in that setting. That would make me feel better about it and while we are not in the dance world yet, I think the only thing that would bother me is if a costume was too skimpy or overtly provocative.

It definitely takes guts to get up on stage and perform- so glad that Harper is empowered by it :)