Saturday, November 30, 2013

Three Year Christmas Mystery - SOLVED

We have this Willow Tree Nativity that I just love. I can't remember how many years we've had it, but it is one of my favorite things to pull out of storage when it is time to decorate for Christmas.

Exhibit A:

The last couple of years something mysterious has been happening with one of the Wise Men, specifically the one holding the box.

Exhibit B:


At some point in the day, most, if not all, days leading up to Christmas, I would look up and see that he was facing the wrong way.

Exhibit C:


I grilled both Harper and Matt (Michael was too little to reach) about it over and over, convinced that someone was playing a joke on me. It drove me crazy. But what was worse was that they were both pretty convincing in their denial. I jokingly said that it must be our Christmas ghost, but when it started to happen again this year I will admit to feeling a little nervous about the whole thing. 

Then, yesterday, while we were finishing decorating the tree, I noticed he had moved again, but this time we'd all be in the room together and I knew for certain that no one had touched him. 

Now the entertainment center the Nativity rests on is the kind that comes flat in a box and requires some assembling. It serves its purpose very well but isn't the sturdiest thing in the world. You can hear some of the knick-knacks rattle when someone, even a child, walks past. It rests on hard flooring, not carpet, so there isn't much in the way of shock absorption... can you see where this is going?

I realized, while we were decorating, that the bottom of that particular figure must be just a little uneven. When the shelf vibrates from someone walking by the figure rocks and turns just a little. If you stand near the corner of the entertainment center and shift weight from one foot to another you can actually watch it happening.

Case closed.


1 comment:

Christina said...

This cracks me up! So glad you solved the mystery!