Tuesday, November 19, 2013

In the Kitchen

As I was preparing our dinner tonight I was struck by this thought about the year I spent working...

If you are anything like me, the first time you try a new recipe it feels a little cumbersome and awkward. Maybe it seems like more trouble that it's worth. You don't mind the process, exactly, but as you are doing it that first time, you are already thinking that this recipe might not be a keeper.

However, if dinner turns out really well, and even 3/4 of the people around your dinner table enjoy it, you might give it another try. Eventually it becomes a family favorite and you can make it without even glancing at the recipe. That first time you made it is sort of a foggy memory and you laugh a little at your past-self for finding it so challenging.

The time I spent working last year? It felt like making the recipe for the first time every. single. day.

2 comments:

Jill said...

I felt that about working a lot. There were so few days where it didn't just feel 'hard' and awkward. I enjoyed when things went right, but am so much happier with my 'mom' free time, ha ha ha... at least i'm not trapped in an office?

bluedaisy said...

Very good perspective and I felt that way often when I worked full time. Good to know I am not the only one!