Thursday, November 26, 2009

Not Your Usual Thankful List

Let's just assume that we're all thankful for our friends and families. If you ask Harper, that's what she'll tell you she's thankful for, but she does it in the most cheesy way possible. How is it that she's five and already learned to give pat answers to those kind of questions?

Here are some less conventional things that have made me really happy lately, in no particular order:

1. I survived the Turkey Trot this morning! I feel very proud of myself that I walked the five miles without feeling like I was going to die, never mind that I walked at a snail's pace, it felt like a little accomplishment. And the best part of my (slow) walk was several hours to spend with Cindy, she is at the top of the list of people that I don't connect with very much. It's good to refill the face-time account now and again. I love her and I hope she knows it! (it didn't actually take us several hours to walk five miles - we had to get there early and pick up race packets, etc.)

2. One of the CDs I got for my birthday is Sutton Foster's Wish. It is awesome. I have been intrigued ever since seeing a Today Show segment where she was singing the part of Fiona from the musical version of Shrek. Now I know Broadway style music isn't everyone's cup of tea, but if you like that sort of thing I can't imagine you won't enjoy this recording. Every time I have listened to it this week it has made me so happy. Harper is a fan, but has asked me to stop singing all the time.

3. I don't mean to get all materialistic here, but another birthday gift I am really enjoying is the DS game my brother gave me. Professor Layton and the Curious Village - so much fun, especially since I'm a big puzzle dork.

4. Tonight we had a very small (but delicious) family dinner at Mike and Ann's, then came back to our house to have dessert and play cards. That is my favorite kind of night. I love playing cards and games and the comfort and fun of sitting together around the table and doing something that everyone enjoys.

I hope that happy turkey days were had, far and wide, and that none of you get trampled at four a.m. sales.

1 comment:

CARRIE said...

It was able to visit with my oldest and dearest friend on Wednesday night. It was much -needed, especially since the kids are still sick.

Glad you are enjoying your gifts. I wish I enjoyed presents more than I do.