Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Time-Out

I inexplicably spiked a fever last night, 101.6 at its highest, and had a miserable night of alternately sweating and shaking. I feel better this morning, but couldn't go see Michael today. I know I would feel even more guilt if I did go see him and got him sick, but it isn't easy to stay away. I miss my baby!

Michael is still doing really well. His feedings have been increased to 31 ml, which is fast approaching the magical 40 mark. He had to go back under the bilirubin light for a couple of days, but might be finished with it today. I'm so grateful that other members of our family (Matt, Matt's parents) can go spend time with him. I just hate to think of him being there all day without getting a visit. I can't imagine what this is like for families who live far away from the hospital and have to settle for checking in on the phone, instead of visiting in person, many days. The nurses take wonderful care of the babies and they all get held and fed and talked to, but it seems it's probably not that same as having a mother or father there.

4 comments:

Mommy Daisy said...

Aww, I'm so sorry to hear that you're sick. Get better very soon! I'm glad you have other family there to help you out and visit little Michael too. He's getting plenty of love and attention.

Laura said...

Get your rest, Lady. You won't be doing yourself or baby Michael a favor if you don't get yourself to feeling better. Any NICU stay is trying and you risk running yourself ragged in a short amount of time.

Just keep reminding yourself that things won't be this way forever. Go be selfish with him on a day that you're feeling better. Hopefully SOON!

Jamie said...

First time commenter. Congrats on your new son!

My daughter spent a month in the NICU in 2006 and goodness, it is a rollercoaster of emotions, something no parent should have to endure. Right now, it's hard. Just so hard. Soon, your son will be home and this will fade into a bad memory and you'll be a stronger mommy because of it. Everyone is right- take care of yourself. But that is so much easier said than done. God bless your family!

Jill said...

sorry about the fever and complications. I know all about high fevers. they suck. ass. especially really high ones. you know you're just inches from brain scrambling and you're worrying that you'll die. yeah. i know it. and it sucks. and i'm still thinking about you and hope you're doing better.