Monday, March 17, 2008

Odds and Ends

Harper is funny.

She had to interrupt her dinner to go to the bathroom. While she was taking care of business, Matt yelled from the kitchen to find out whether she was finished with her food. She first told me that she was, then she said she wanted to eat the rest of her sandwich and yogurt. I told her she couldn't tell us one thing and then tell us the opposite thing in her next breath. She looked at me, shrugged her shoulders, and said, "That's the way it works for me, Mom!"

Tonight she and Matt were wrestling and she was trying to tell him not to worry about something, to emphasize her point she started to sing, "Hakuna Matata," from The Lion King.

*****

I just finished a bunch of blog and email reading, and I'm in a pretty good mood right now. But here are the random things that made me cry today:

-I was sitting with Michael and a new baby was born in one of the ORs which is joined to the NICU by the "Resuscitation Room." The sound of that new baby crying sent me right over the edge. I have no explanation for this.

-I got home from the hospital (after several hours) and cried because I just felt exhausted suddenly and my swollen feet hurt and I had to pump before I could take a nap. This is not any different from a normal afternoon, other than the making me burst into tears part, sheesh!

-We found out Michael is being moved into the "Special Care" nursery, which is a step closer to going home than the NICU. This is not bad news, it's good! But I was just getting used to the NICU, getting to know the nurses there, feeling very comfortable with how things worked, etc. and felt overwhelmed by the thought that we now have to learn something different. More tears. I'm officially ridiculous.

(That's the end of things that made me cry, thank you very much.)

Michael hit four pounds again today, leaving him only a little over an ounce shy of his birth weight. They also took his IV out last night so he is fueled purely by breast milk now (No pressure, Self!). The doctor doing rounds this morning told me to expect that it would be another month before he comes home, and that we can just feel really excited if it actually happens sooner than that. A March birth, an April homecomeing, and a May due date -- way to keep us on our toes, Kid!

4 comments:

Swistle said...

Those are cryworthy things!

Mommy Daisy said...

Oh my, Harper is one of a kind hilarious! Gotta love that!

I second Swistle. Every little thing makes you cry that soon after having a baby, especially when you're spending that much time away from the baby.

Erin said...

Totally cryworthy. Don't worry about it; crying is an positively acceptable response to ANYTHING for a good 6 weeks post partum.

Harper is hilarious. I love the Hakuna Matata! HAHA!

Regaining birthweight within the first two weeks is considered awesome. That's the actual medical term too: awesome. Keep up the good work, Momma!

2Forgetful said...

Crying is healthy!

Congrats on moving up to the Special Care nursery! That weight gain is great and it's awesome that he's getting straight BM.