Friday, October 31, 2008

Please Hum the National Anthem While You Read

(If you've already voted you get a cookie, and a pat on the back, and you probably don't have to read this post. Good job!)

What are you doing Tuesday? I'm taking Harper to school, taking the dog to the groomer, picking Harper up from school, and VOTING! I plan to take both children with me to vote, but I'm willing to be flexible and will call for reinforcements if the lines prohibit voting with children in tow. My polling place is generally not terribly crowded, even for presidential elections, but who knows what this year will bring. Harper has tagged along for several local elections, but I want both my children to know that they accompanied me to vote during the first presidential election of their lives. (Harper made her entrance to the world 13 days after the last presidential election.)



What if you don't want to vote for either candidate for president? It's likely that there are still important local issues and races on your ballot. Educate yourself and then exercise your right to shape what happens in your community.



What if you don't know if you're registered to vote? What if you aren't sure where to go? Have other voting questions? Click here for help!

What if you are still trying to sort through all the ads and interviews and debates and robo-calls and extreme emails? FactCheck.org is a good place to being sorting it out - remember not to believe everything you read or hear!

Don't let anyone tell you that you can't vote. If there is a problem, ask to fill out a provisional ballot and if you are concerned that your vote won't be counted, contact your county board of elections.



Okay, you can stop humming now.

VOTE!

4 comments:

Christina said...

Those pictures are adorable, Kelsey! I can't believe how much Michael has grown.

Aaron was 1 day old at the time of the last election. Hard to believe it's been 4 years already, eh?

Erin said...

OH MICHAEL. If he doesn't inspire you to vote, then you are immovable (unmoveable?).

Obviously I am voting. Our polls are going to be NUTS CRAZY NUTS, as there is no early voting here, but I'm ready for it.

Swistle said...

The kids don't have school Tuesday, so I have to bring ALL FIVE with me to vote! ...Well, okay, not really. I arranged to leave the younger three with my mom. Hee.

I'm not commenting on the new PIF (I'll add that to this weekend's list) because I keep WINNING them recently, but I wanted to tell you that with your very subtle and non-aggressive discussions of peanut allergies made a big difference in the way I think. This year the kids had, like, HALF Reese's things, and instead of thinking, "OOOO, SCORE" as usual, I thought, "Oh, dear. This SUCKS for kids with peanut allergies." We never get any trick-or-treaters at our house, but if we DID, I'd buy a peanut-allergy-safe treat (I'd email you for help!).

Jill said...

we voted in iowa, which is a good thing considering how our situation is turning out. whew. and here we were going to stay up and watch the states all come in. yeah, right.. good luck with that now. if her schedule is off, we dont even see the 6 pm news..