Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Knock Three Times

Since we put the "big girl bed" in Harper's room we shut the door when we put her to bed. There is a childproofing device on her doorknob so she can't open it if we shut the door tight. That is really a safety measure, especially given how soundly Matt and I sleep. We wouldn't want Harper waking up in the middle of the night, heading for the kitchen, and using sharp knives and the stove in an attempt to make us a midnight snack of steak with roasted peppers. I wouldn't put it past her.

Anyway, Harper knows that if she knocks on her bedroom door someone will come see what she needs. We felt it was the least we could do, since we were basically putting her in lock down every afternoon and evening. For the most part Harper has not abused the door-knocking thing. Her most common reason for knocking is that she pooped and needs her diaper changed. A close second is that it is morning and she would like to be finished sleeping. But occasionally Harper has a difficult time settling down and knocks on the door just because she would like some company.

Tonight she knocked several times and each time I went in her room she wanted nothing more than to tell me something about the day we had just spent together. I must have had a pretty stern look on my face by my fourth trip to her room. When I opened the door and looked at her she said, "I'm sorry Kewsey, I'm sorry I got out of my bed again;" totally without being prompted. Why she was calling me Kelsey, I have no idea. Anyway she climbed back in, very contritely, and promised not to get up again.

I accepted her apology and said good night for the fifth, but not final, time.

The word of a two-year-old is not much good.

1 comment:

Megan said...

I just have to say that I now have that song in my head :) Very funny that she called you Kewsey... a nice way make you laugh or to distract you from the fact she kept getting out of bed :)

Hope you're doing well!

Megan