Saturday, April 18, 2009

Back to the Arboretum

Most years, in the spring, I've taken a trip to the arboretum specifically to get pictures of the early flowers. Last year that portion of the arboretum was being "improved" and we did not get our usual tulip pictures. When today came up gorgeous I knew we'd better go!

For the record Harper had a blast, Michael was not necessarily impressed.


I often have trouble refraining from adding a ridiculous number of photos to my posts, but the outdoor excursion ones are the worst - kids look so nice in natural light!

Matt was coaching today, but his dad, Dziatku, joined us at the arboretum. This explains the presence of the Tigers cap in the above photo! Did you know Matt was born in Detroit?


I spoke briefly with my own dad today, who was quick to point out that I hadn't updated the blog in over a week! I was quick to point out that it has actually only been six days. The subbing job is going well, but getting out of the house so early every morning is kicking my butt. I am managing to go to be early (for me, anyway) some nights, but not all nights. I'm working on it. I have a feeling this blog may continue to be a little neglected for the next several weeks, as well as my email, and commenting on/reading other blogs. How do you full-time working people find time for this stuff without staying up all night?!


Things are going a lot better with Michael at the babysitter's -whew! After the Easter weekend ER trip I suspect at least some of his distress was that he really wasn't feeling well. The ER doc told us that the croupy cough gets really bad about three days into being sick. Which would mean he was already sick when we started leaving him with Miss R.

The last two days of this work week I went to pick him up and he was sitting out in the front yard happily playing with Miss R and her son. Michael's been a little clingier than usual this past week, but I am much less worried that we are traumatizing him with the whole babysitter set-up.


I'm excited to get out more with the kids this year. Harper is old enough that I don't have panic about being close to a bathroom at all times. And she is old enough that I (mostly) trust her not to run away from me. Michael is young enough to still be in diapers and be (mostly) contained in the stroller. I think this summer and next summer will be good ones for outings. I find age three, Michael in two years, a very difficult age for outings because children are still relatively clueless about big dangers (busy streets, falling from high places, etc.), are willing to run far away from you and NOT willing to be trapped in a stroller, and are likely to need to be whisked away to the bathroom with thirty seconds notice.


With the exception of last year, when I was worried we'd never leave the house again, I always thrill with the possibility of outdoor adventures this time of year. Then again, I got sunburned today (I remembered to protect the kids at least!) and as soon as the temperature gets close to eighty degrees it will feel HOT and I will be less excited about being out of the air conditioning... I'm a weather wuss for sure.


You may have noticed this before now, but I think cohesiveness is a highly overrated quality in blog posts.


Especially when they end with money shots of the children!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great pictures! Wasn't today beautiful?! Can't wait to go visit the Butterfly house this summer...

Kelli

Anonymous said...

Hi Kels,

Thanks for blogging and for the beautiful pictures of the kids and the flowers.We'll try to be patient while you are so busy.

Love,

Dad

bluedaisy said...

I love the pictures! Glad you got to enjoy the gorgeous day. It is so hard to fit everything in when you add a job into the mix..you just do the best you can :)

jill said...

when I was working and pregnant, therefore tired ALL THE TIME, I just kind of caught up on weekends, most people tend to only post a couple of times a week. I also slashed what I was reading in about half, then in half again after the baby was born. Even though I'm not working now, and can usually get around to check on everyone, well, I guess sometimes it does seem to be a lot. I just catch up when I can. I have a great spam filter on my email, and my own comments are sent via email so that if someone comments on my blog, I get it emailed to me. A lot of people use blog readers, and I'm tempted, but I like to see what else is going on at their site and not just grab a snatch of what they are saying..oh and the pictures are great, as usual

Erin said...

Kelsey, SILLY KELSEY. You cannot post TOO MANY photos! Well, I don't think you can. I love the photos. Michael looks like practically a TODDLER. And Harper looks like a big kid. Wild.

MamaK said...

Cohesiveness is daboslutely overrated. Esp with photos!!! I have never been to your arboretum, and I love it! What great outings....

um, and this working mom mostly stays up all night to catch up on blogs. or ignores the mess in the house, but that only happens for so long...

Liz said...

i love your posts, and they don't have to be cohesive at all! :) i am guilty of posting a ridiculous number of pics but i tell myself it is because we are so far away and the family never gets to see the kids! i wonder if it will continue when we move back to the states. ;) your pics are great and i love the outdoor pics as well. and finally, thank you for reminding me that other people have "difficulty" with 3 year olds as well - living over here we get to take luke to the most amazing places and it can be challenging when all he wants to do is throw rocks in all the fountains and get THIS CLOSE to the rivers' edges. he has, however, rediscovered the joy of the stroller, thank GOD! :)

samantha jo campen said...

Those photos are awesome! And Theo had that onesie--so cute! I love Michael's rosey cheeks :-)