Monday, February 27, 2006

Difference of Opinion

Harper: Peas make great projectiles.

Mommy: Peas are for eating.


Harper: Rebound's dog food is good for me, and tasty too.

Mommy: Dog food is for dogs.


Harper: Throwing forks and plates and bowls and spoons on the kitchen floor is great fun.

Mommy: Harper needs to practice using the fork. I do not need to practice retrieving it from the floor 368 times a day.


Harper: I will eat applesauce with my fingers.

Mommy: You know how to use the spoon, so please use the spoon!!!


Harper's motto: If mommy's not in tears, I'm just not trying hard enough.

Sigh. . . Today was a l-o-n-g day.

I know that Harper is just testing her environment, but when testing turns unsafe or unhealthy, I need to put a stop to it. Harper does not agree with this assessment of events. Is it possibly the terrible twos are setting in early?

3 comments:

Erin said...

oh boy. This is a good reminder to me to enjoy this time when Calum is generally immobile and not capable of pitching objects across the room. See, Kels: Harper is a very advanced child and hitting the terrible 2s early!

Anonymous said...

That's my girl!

Giselle said...

If it makes you feel better, this is probably just an early preview and will go away for a while. I thought Andrew was way advanced at about 15 months (as far as the temper tantrums, willfullness, and just generally behaving rotten)...and I was so frustrated because they are too young to understand consequences. So it was just redirect, redirect, redirect. But then a few weeks later, he returned to being my sweet obedient child again. I've talked to many other moms who've said the same thing happened to their kid. Of course, then at about 21-22 months they really hit the 2's, and it's all over.

Then again, maybe she's just ready to be two ;) Good luck!