Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Party Crashers

Apparently Harper was having a rip-roaring good time with Grandma while we were down in Florida. We barely got a glance from her when we came home. My mom was giving her a bath, in order to keep her awake long enough for us to see her. Harper looked up from the bath water, waved a bit, and then went back to splashing. If I could read her mind I'd assumed she was thinking something like, "Oh, those people are back. Whatever. As long as someone feeds me and keeps those sippy cups full, I'm cool." Which is really equal parts reassuring and disturbing. I know Harper's pretty young, but I don't like to think that we're interchangeable with any Joe-Shmoe who walks in the door.

The dog, on the other hand, was beside himself with joy at our homecoming. There's nothing like a 33 pound ball of fluff hurtling at you at full speed to make you feel loved.

Once Harper got out of the tub she was one wound-up kid. I choose to interpret that behavior as a sign that she really was excited about our return. She did seem to like the t-shirt we brought her from the hotel gift-shop. Naples isn't a great place to shop if you aren't a millionaire. They had sixty-dollar sundresses for toddlers in the hotel gift shop. Sixty Dollars!!! The lady who worked there said, "That's because it's a (insert name of designer brand I'd never heard of)." Harper has some really nice clothes she's received as gifts, but I'm all about buy-one-get-one Carter's outfits from Kohls. I hesitate to by items of clothing for myself that cost sixty dollars. I'm guessing she doesn't feel too badly that she's not wearing major labels just yet.

We're getting back in the swing of things. The day after we returned I had to take Harper to the doctor for her 15-month check-up. She appeared to remember something about the last time we'd been there, because she started screaming as soon as the nurse walked in the door. She screamed while her head was measured (95%), while her height was taken (50-75%), while she was weighed (25%, up from 5%, yea), and while she had her eyes, ears, and throat checked, and her temperature taken. I can't even begin to describe the sound she made while actually getting her three shots. It wasn't pretty. She whined and moaned most of the rest of the day. Which was unfortunate, since her appointment was in the late morning.

Today she seems to be feeling much better. She played with Matt's parents while I substitute taught in Kettering. Tonight we busted out the Gymboree bubbles during Harper's bath, she loved them:






2 comments:

Giselle said...

I'm glad Harper did so well while you were gone. Shadow is always 10 times more excited to see us than Andrew. Apparently, she misses us a lot more when we're gone too...pouting and looking for us. Ah, the simple adoration from dogs!

Erin said...

Yo Kels,
As always, thanks for YOUR comments on my blog. I know what you mean about the shots at the doctor's. Cal just got his first round of shots Wednesday (5 shots!) and I've never heard him scream like that. I somehow got through the experience without crying myself. I'm so glad to see that you and Matt had a great vacation. It's nice to get back home though, isn't it?
Love you!!
Erin