Thursday, June 08, 2006

It's Been a While

I already typed this entire post last night and then Blogger got crabby and lost it. It's hard to complain about a free service, but sheesh! So I'm going to try again.


We were so lucky on Monday to have friends from Nebraska visit us! The weather cooperated perfectly. Harper got over her initial shyness pretty quickly and we all enjoyed a lovely summer afternoon and evening. We grilled out, played cornhole, went to the park down the street, and just enjoyed each other. I even managed to get the house pretty clean. You know you are important company if I'll terrorize Harper with the vacuum for you!

When I first met this family I was a junior at UD. They had posted a sign in the education building, looking for a baby-sitter. At the time, Katie was three and the twins, Thomas and Nathan, were about six months old. Taking down that number and making the phone call were two of the best decisions I have ever made. They all became like family to me. Less than two years later, Anthony was added to the mix. When I started dating Matt, he would often join me on my baby-sitting adventures. Dan and Susan (the parents) became both friends and mentors to Matt and I.

The family traveled to Wisconsin when we got married (no small feat!) and even brought up the gifts at our wedding mass. It was shortly after the wedding that we learned they would be moving back to Nebraska, where Dan and Susan were originally from. I had known they were thinking about leaving Ohio, but I wasn't really prepared for how sad I felt when they left. For my birthday that year Matt gave me a plane ticket to Nebraska. In March of 2003 I went out to visit and had a fabulous time becoming acquainted with Lincoln, Nebraska. They also visited Dayton in the summer of 2003. That was the last time we'd seen them, until Monday!

The kids have grown so much! Katie is as kind and intelligent as she is beautiful. Both Nathan and Thomas have come so far and were very sweet and gentle with Harper. Anthony is a firecracker! His personality and smile know no bounds. Rebound is still a little tired from running with Anthony in the backyard.

It was wonderful to see them all again. The time was fun, but too short. Maybe we'll have to think about a trip to Nebraska.

Come back soon!

1 comment:

Erin said...

Wow, how cool that they came to visit! Also, I love the photo where Harper is climbing ON the corn hole box. She's a lawn game champion in the making.