Thursday, June 15, 2006

Foray into Science

A few weeks ago I was going to make some soup. I know, I should slow down with this post, the excitement is threatening to overwhelm you. . . I like this particular soup with a little onion flavor in it, so I had purchased a red onion at our local Kroger. The onion was in a plastic produce bag on the counter. I never made the soup. Then I noticed little green things in the bag. Apparently, if you leave an onion on the counter for too long, it grows.

I ask you, what does a normal person do in this situation? My guess is one of two things:

a) Throw the onion out. When new stuff grows on your old food, that's usually a good sign you shouldn't eat it.
b) Cut off the offending growth and use it anyway. Maybe this is what a thrifty person does.

Being decidedly abnormal, Harper and I choose a third option:

c) Put some toothpicks in the "bloomin' onion" (ha, ha), prop it over a container of water, and see what happens.

Though we may be missing a few technical terms, Harper can point out to you the roots, onion, and sprouts. She is very proud.

Someday I will show this picture to Harper and say, "Look, it's your very first science experiment!"

Incidentally, does anyone know what will happen to this thing? Biology expert Erin, if you're reading, any advice on how to care for our newest houseplant? Should I plant it in the yard? How big will it get? Will it get stinky and decay? I clearly haven't thought this through. Seriously, what do we do now?

1 comment:

Erin said...

Onions are bulbs. Try planting it! Or just see how long you can keep it in your kitchen before the smell causes your home value to drop. If you plant it, plant some beans too, just in case the project fails. Beans are FUN to grow & Harper will love it.

I must say, I feel deeply honored that you would call upon my onion expertise out loud on the internet.