Thursday, November 06, 2014

Where's My Cape?

First things first... the answer to yesterday's guessing game is:

Michael's laundry.

Shoes and Lego pieces were excellent guesses and are, in fact, items I also find haphazardly strewn about the house.

Moving on -

Have I mentioned that the library I'm working at is going to be renovated this year? Thanks to an incredible grant all of the libraries in our district are being renovated/updated in order to better support our district's one-to-one initiative - which means each student is going to have his or her own device. A library with 25 big desktop computers won't be necessary. A library that can take advantage of a group of sixth graders coming with Chromebooks, that's what we need. There's more to it than that, but you get the gist.

Other than the computers, the library, as I came into it this year, looked a LOT like it did sixty or so years ago when the school was built. Here are some photos:





In order to prepare for the pending renovation, EVERYTHING had to be moved out of this space. The custodial and maintenance staff will handle things like moving the furniture, but guess who got to pack up all the books? This week the library was closed to students and, in four days, I moved a selection of books into a temporary space and packed the rest. So now it looks like this:

There are eight shelves with a few books still on them - I ran out of boxes! They WILL be packed tomorrow.





I'm not going to lie, I feel like some kind of library super hero for accomplishing this task. I'm working very hard NOT to think about how long it will take to put everything back in the correct order again!


No comments: