Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Michael's First Disney Trip

So I don't post for a week and a half and I come back to find the Blogger has gone crazy! I am not sure I like this new look (from the composing side) but I suppose I can get used to it... Right now it seems so bright I swear my eyes are hurting.

ANYWAY.

I have been meaning to post a little about our trip for, oh, about a month now, and just couldn't think of a way to tackle it. My ultimate decision is to throw a lot of pictures and sparse commentary at you. I like the way Carrie talked about their summer trip as it related to each of her children, so I'm stealing that idea from her.

And away we go:
This was our first character experience - Harper has Michael hooked around the neck so he'll stay close enough to be in the photo.

By the end of the third day, Michael asked for his OWN photo with Cinderella... Watch out ladies!

It is difficult to work napping into a Disney vacation, but sometimes you just have to close your eyes.

We rode the WDW Railroad several times per Michael's request. Every time he had to be reminded that it did not go fast, nor did it go through any dark tunnels!

I'm pretty sure this is waiting to ride It's a Small World. One of the few rides during which no one was scared of anything. We managed to ride it several times as well.

Aladdin's Magic Carpets was the first ride Michael experienced. Here he is with Matt, ride 2 or 3 of about 10 (not in a row).

The white trams that take people from the parking lots to the park entrances were some of Michael's favorite things. He loved them so much we brought a die cast model home with us. Matt says in a couple of years we'll go to Orlando, pay for Disney parking, and give Michael a thrill by riding the transportation around for a week. Who needs Mickey?

Michael was a trooper staying awake for a couple of evening shows and parades. He used that light up Mickey sward to fight bad guys, from the safety of our seats, during Fantasmic. As soon as things got scary he shouted, "Give me my sword!"

For my tastes, three years old is still a little on the young side for enjoying the Disney experience to its fullest (see riding transportation comment, above). Having said that, Michael enjoyed himself more than I ever dreamed he would.

Little things I want to remember about him from our trip:
  • Asking, as soon as we got on every ride, "How do we get off?" I think he was worried we'd ride off into something and never come back.
  • During our experience with Soarin' Michael loudly, and repeatedly, asked, "Are we in a mooh-vee?" Sorry about that other riders.
  • He told every single character that signed his autograph book, "Well we're stayin' at a condo..." And none of them could understand him. He also asked urgently for his book back if they didn't sign it at lightning speed.

8 comments:

MamaK said...

I'm impressed by your bravery, taking a toddler to Disney. It seems like if there was a Girl Scouts for Parents, taking young'uns to WDW would earn you a big badge!! Also loving how much fun you all had- great photos and memories :)

Giselle said...

He looks so grown up! I'm glad he had a fun time...and it also makes me feel better to know that you also think 3 may be a little young. We aren't going to Disney until 2013, but EVERYONE WE KNOW...and I'm not exaggerating, is going to Disney this fall. And I've been having doubts about our decision to wait.

Can't wait to hear Haper's side of things!

Sara said...

What a great post! I love the pics--he's getting so big! Kelly will be on the "old" end of 3 when we go next year, so we will see how she handles it. I'm glad that you had a good time--lots of memories and I can't wait to see/hear Harper's side. Maybe she should write it herself!

tracy said...

I just love that picture of Michael and Matt.

Michael's little mind must have been spinning the entire trip -- so much to take in! I'm curious as to his reflections/memories now that you've been home for awhile.

Can't wait to hear about the trip from Harper's perspective!

bluedaisy said...

Awesome trip and adorable photos!

CARRIE said...

I blinked and Michael seems totally grown up. What a big guy he has become!

Three seemed like a good age for N, but it seemed too young for G.....that whole boys mature slower issue, I guess. So for round #3, we are gonna wait until M is almost 5.

Slyde said...

those are some great pics!

i took my little one to disney last year for the first time.. he loved it!

Pam said...

Great pictures and I love that you posted them about Michael. Our little ones don't get quite the fanatical attention the oldest got do they? I think his comments are adorable. Glad you had fun!