Saturday, March 04, 2023

Special Delivery

I'm wondering how you use your mailbox...

Two Postcrossing postcards waiting for the mail carrier this morning.

I place outgoing mail in ours at least once a week. I mail birthday cards, actual letters to faraway friends, notes of encouragement, etc. I still love putting a pen (or marker!) to paper and take care in choosing cards, paper, stickers, stamps. It is all meaningful to me, even if some of that meaning is lost on the recipient. 

In the last few months I have joined Postcrossing which is a way to send and receive postcards from all around the world. I've had it in the back of my mind ever since Swistle blogged about it years ago and finally decided it would be a great way to use some of the postcards I've collected over the last twenty years. 

Not long ago a coworker thanked me for something I'd sent her in the mail and commented that she didn't get it right away because they aren't good about checking their mailbox. That was a completely absurd notion to me because I still look forward to the mail every day. Most days it's just junk/bills and, in the last couple of years, random college mail; but sometimes there's a letter or a postcard with my name on it and that is no less thrilling than it was when I was twelve years old. 

It would be difficult to ignore the mail in our current home because it drops directly into the living room:


So I'm curious, are you still mailing things?

No comments: