Sunday, July 27, 2014

Pondering

Not too long ago I was talking to a friend about how I am "blogging" in my mind pretty much constantly. But, for many reasons, I find myself actually blogging less and less.

I KNOW how dreadful it is to read bloggers blogging about blogging, so I'll be brief. Here are some of the reasons I think I've been blogging less:

1) With a smartphone it is so easy to share thoughts and pictures via Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, etc. I'll think about blogging about something and then I wonder if it's overkill because I already "covered" that event, moment, thought through other social media.

2) I have many more local friends than I did when I began this blog. In the beginning it was a lifeline, a way to process. These days, I'm just as likely to process something through a face-to-face conversation with a friend. I still process quite a bit through writing, but do lots of that privately.

3) As the children get older, there are some things that feel off-limits. I've mentioned this before. For better or worse, they are aware that they have an on-line presence. It is not uncommon for me to take photo and hear one of them ask if I'm going to put it on Facebook for their relatives (and our friends) to see. Sharing photos doesn't seem to bother them. However some of the issues we're encountering now are less funny/cute and more serious. I still want to write about my experiences as a parent, but I am not sure I've completely worked out how to do that while still honoring the things my children may not find amusing to read about someday.

4) Another thing that has happened as the children have gotten older is that we've become more involved in the community. So when I'm writing about our experiences they are largely tied to people, organizations, and places that are meaningful to us. I will admit that I'm more concerned now about offending people than I was when I began - because very few people I knew were reading!

I am not yet ready to close the doors here. There's plenty that I do still want to find a way to write about.

5 comments:

Giselle said...

Ditto. To all of it.

MamaK said...

LOL- I was about to type the EXACT thing that Giselle did :)

So we're in good company, then?

Though I do feel bad that Sammy has a lot LESS blog/documentation/baby book entries than Kade did....

Christina said...

And we're looking forward to reading it, no matter how often you post!

Jill said...

how about a highlights reel for the blog, which is all in one spot unlike facebook which disappears and is in no way catalogued, etc?

share whatever you are comfortable sharing.

bluedaisy said...

As you may know, I am struggling with this too. I am trying to get back to the idea that this is a sort of memory book- I want to capture the little moments even if it might not be interesting to an outside reader. It is hard to balance what might be too personal as the kids get older with capturing moments. Looks like we are all in good compaby :)